What happens if you left car abandoned in flood waters?

May. 26, 2015KTRK-TV

If you have abandoned a car on the side of the road – and it is not blocking traffic – you have some time to arrange your own tow options. Law enforcement is NOT immediately towing abandoned vehicles that are neither blocking traffic nor a hazard to public safety.

If you abandoned your car and the City of Houston tows it…
– Look for it at http://findmytowedcar.com/ with your license plate number or VIN
– You should expect to pay:
— $162.50 Non-consent Tow Fee (CITY)
— $20.00 Per day charge at Licensed Vehicle Storage Facility
— $50.00 Notification Fee from Storage Lot if they have to notify you after 24 hours that your car has been towed there.
— $20.00 Impound fee.

If you need to have your car towed…

-Call several companies to compare prices. Get the price in writing.
— We got three different prices from the same tow company within a few hours.
-The Texas Department of Licensing & Regulations establishes statewide maximum amounts for private property tows.
— The maximum charge for a private property tow is:
— $250 for a car weighing up to 10,000 lbs
— $350 for a car weighing more than 10,000 but less than 25,000 lbs
— $450 per unit for unit for cars weighing more than 25,000 lbs with a $900 total maximum
— These are the maximum rates statewide. Lower rates may be set by local municipal or county rule.
— A DAILY STORAGE CHARGE of between $5.00 and $20 per day or part of a day for a car that is 25 feet long or less. A Vehicle Storage Facility must charge $35 per day or part of a day for a car that is longer than 25 feet.
— A NOTIFICATION FEE. A VSF may charge up to $50 for notifying you that your car is at their VSF.
— Consumer info about towing: http://www.tdlr.texas.gov/towing/consumerinfo.htm

If you have a complaint or feel like you’ve been over-charged…
-File a complaint with Houston Police Department’s Auto Dealers Detail:
-Call 832-394-4800 or email hpd.autodealers@houstonpolice.org
Request a Tow Hearing
-Consumers that have had their vehicle towed or booted without their consent are entitled to a hearing. File within 14 days.
File a complaint with the Texas Department of Licensing & Regulations
-Filing a complaint with TDLR is not a substitute for requesting a tow hearing; however, you may do both.

You can locate your car at this website if it has been towed:http://findmytowedcar.com/tvrmscitizen/mainpage.aspx