Help Us, Help You File a Hassle-Free Police Report

Nov. 24, 2014City of Houston

Are you looking for a hassle-free to report criminal mischief or a theft?  All you need is a computer with Internet access and an email account.

Police ReportThe online form allows you to report thefts (up to $5,000- if they are non-vehicle related).  An example would be if your bicycle was stolen from your open garage.  You can also report vandalism or property damage (criminal mischief complaints) if the damage is less than $5,000.

You also must be the victim- not a witness or a family member.

The form cannot be used:

  • If the crime occurred outside the City of Houston.
  • Evidence exists (such as fingerprints or items left by the suspects)
  • Suspect information exists (such as a license plate number, surveillance video, suspect description)
  • An emergency exists
  • Force was used to break in
  • The incident is a burglary of a motor vehicle
  • Someone was injured
  • A vehicle was stolen

Citizens reporting Auto Thefts or Burglary of Motor Vehicles (BMVs) should call the HPD non-emergency number of 713-884-3131.

Once a report is filed online, you will receive an incident number and can print out a copy of your report.

For more information and a link to the online police report form, visit the HPD website at


Note:  This is not something that should be used for emergencies or crimes in progress.  In an emergency, always call 9-1-1.