Years of hard work and dedication by the WOW Roundabout Initiative has resulted in a gorgeous light garden at the roundabout at Washington on Westcott.
This recently unveiled installation was created by local artist Tim Glover, and it beautifully illuminates the intersection. My thanks and congratulations to everyone involved in WOW for their commitment to the Washington community!
Roundabouts are unique traffic structures. In many ways these modern traffic circles are actually safer than traditional intersections. Because we have so few roundabouts in Houston, and many drivers are less familiar with them, I thought it might be helpful to provide some tips for navigating a roundabout safely:
- If there’s more than one lane, use the left lane to turn left, the right lane to turn right, and all lanes to go through unless directed otherwise by signs and pavement markings.
- Yield to pedestrians and bicyclists.
- Stay in your lane within the roundabout and use your right-turn signal to indicate your intention to exit.
- Always assume trucks need all available space–don’t pass them!
- Clear the roundabout to allow emergency vehicles to pass.
By keeping these tips in mind and remaining cautious, the Washington on Westcott roundabout, as well as the others throughout District C, will remain safe as well as beautiful.